Who is Alan Quilley?
"Thought Provoker", Change Agent, Educator, Writer,
Consultant, Mentor and Professional Presenter
A best-selling author of a number of OH&S books, consultant and compelling speaker, Alan Quilley has made a career of learning and applying the leading edge of occupational health & safety. Combining four decades of hands-on experience, a passion for "doing it right" and a presentation style that entertains and educates, he is a unique voice on the issue of safety excellence.
Alan's quest has seen him touching the work lives of tens of thousands of employees, supervisors and managers worldwide. His client list covers a broad spectrum of industry sectors that include oil, gas & petrochemical, police & fire services, transportation, construction and municipalities.
Alan doesn’t know what he knows because he’s just read it somewhere… he’s done it and continues to do it. He works with all levels of an organization, from CEOs through to the hourly paid workers who actually make safety happen.
Alan's safety career took flight in 1976, when he became a safety coordinator with CN Rail. Evolving through a series of increasingly senior occupational health and safety positions, he has had the opportunity to develop, test and refine his ideas through hands-on experience. He is an OH&S professional who has led some of the largest OH&S units in Canada. His drive to educate others has seen him actively involved with the University of Alberta and as a key figure in the development and delivery of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology's occupational health and safety diploma program.
To complement his work as an educator, he has combined his decades of experience with the best in behavioural and occupational health & safety research to quantify exactly what it takes to make companies safe. The result of his labours was his first book "The Emperor Has No Hard Hat: Achieving REAL Workplace Safety Results", which received Honourable Mention among the Globe & Mail's top ten business books of 2006. This book brings to life his concept of safety, which he calls Integrated Safety Management System, shortened to ISMS (rhymes with "prisms"). As he describes it, ISMS is a set of powerful, yet simple concepts that companies can adapt to their own unique situations. The system also teaches safety personnel how to collect and analyze evidence that will verify that safety excellence has been achieved.
Alan’s subsequent books, “Creating & Maintaining a Practical Based Safety Culture”, “How To Hold Great Safety Meetings – These meetings don’t suck anymore!”, and "MORE Creating & Maintaining a Practical Based Safety Culture - Turning Intention into Action". All of Alan's books are available for purchase in the Safety Book section.
In 2006, after his extensive analysis and in efforts to enhance the portfolio of services offered by Safety Results, Alan purchased the copyright to a CRSP Examination Preparation course. Since then, he has turned this course and its study material into the gold standard of CRSP Exam Prep Workshops. He delivers his highly regarded course to 100s of students, and we receive excellent testimonials and accolades on not only his process but on our study material too.
In 2018, in response to the BCRSP’s launch of the CRST certification, Alan created study material and a new Workshop for those seeking this designation.
Alan continues to give back to the OH&S community by writing and submitting articles for a variety of safety related magazines.
QUALIFICATIONS & ACHIEVEMENTS
Alan Quilley brings to his consulting and training practice a wealth of knowledge and experience. Among the highlights of his qualifications and achievements:
- Forty years experience in OH&S management and training
- Strong track record of obtaining significant results in reduced injuries and associated costs
- Solid experience in the design and management of OH&S programs, many for the largest corporations in Canada
- Extensive knowledge of federal and provincial OH&S legislation and regulations
- Over thirty years accreditation as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)
- Twelve years in the development and delivery of OH&S training through University of Alberta
- Key member of the steering committee for the development and delivery of the NAIT Occupational Health & Safety diploma program
- Executive experience as chair of the Alberta Municipal Safety Association and director of the Alberta Safety Council
- Published author of "The Emperor Has No Hard Hat - Achieving REAL Workplace Safety Results", “Creating & Maintaining a Practical Based Safety Culture”, “How To Hold Great Safety Meetings – These meetings don’t suck anymore!”, "MORE Creating & Maintaining a Practical Based Safety Culture - Turning Intention into Action", CRSP Examination Preparation Manual, Workbook and Flash Cards, CRST Examination Preparation Manual and Workbook.